Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Why getting the silver medal sucks like a hoover

Woe!!!

Am the Wounded Diva at the moment....Had the 2nd Audition last night for the Verdi Requiem soprano part....and I did not Get It.

The other girl did not sing as well as I CAN but she did make prettier noises than I DID on the day and my top notes were just a little off - enough that they didn't compensate as much as they should. Apparently I sang sharp at times, and I could hear my voice had an edge that isn't usually there - it was Day 2 of my period which I've noticed can affect me.

The other girl occasionally sang flat and had a flabby technique around the edges. She also could not blend with my dear friend Helen the mezzo for - well, for shit.

(Helen and I sounded like one person at times! We are going to go ahead with our planned concert probably next easter so something good has come out of this....)

But this apparently counts less than being sharp. I don't know why I couldn't pull the rabbit out of the hat, I just didn't, it was "just one of those things" to quote Mr C. Porter.

There are a couple of things I would do differently to warm up but everyone can have an off day - sadly, yesterday afternoon was mine.

To add insult to injury, the guy who will be vocal coaching the soloist ensemble wants the same ensemble for all three performances, so I get no performances at all.

Feeling pretty damned raw today, just straight bitter disappointment gurgling in the belly.

I just want to put it behind me and move on but, you know, ARRRRRGH! Getting this gig was part of THE PLAN!!! Now I have NOTHING BIG to put on the resume.

I feel horrible - humiliated and like I've let everyone down, including myself. I cannae keep the heid, cap'n.

Helen says she has a feeling that this is not the end of the story, but that's seductive magic thinking.

I'll keep going with other stuff - but oh my I WANTED that gig and to come second is almost too much.

Comments:
Hello m'dear,

Mail not working properly at the mo, so I will leave a comment here.

*HUG* Im so sorry that you didn't get what you wanted. Like you were saying, everyone can have an offday, and perhaps the answer to combat that is to get that cd of music prepared for such days. Mail it ahead of time and show them that even if you had an off moment or indeed an off day, you can pull many rabbits out of your hat.

You are a wonderful singer, and Im sure that more opportunities are coming for you.

Jodes
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?