Tuesday, May 02, 2006

The creative urge

All sorts of crap has been going on, but I have sublimated it all by hyper-focusing on two facts:

1. my beautiful singing teacher, Julia, turned 40 yesterday and I had a lesson today

2. I have no spare money - but I can sew stuff.

Hence, my latest attempt at bag-making: the over-shoulder satchel bag.

This is a picture looking down on the bag as it is being modelled by Janelle, Melinda's flatmate, who, being about the same size as Julia (ie teensy) gives a good idea where it sits on the body.

I really really liked and yet loathed the feature fabric - it's a subtle, pretty Japanese-style print and it's just the thing and Julia LOVED it.

But the colours are all "wrong" for me - which means I could probably use it to make stuff for Bron and Imelda seeing as I owe them both birthday pressies - they like similar sorts of colours.


This one shows the layout of the bag - basically it's a long, pieced-together bit of fabric folded into an envelope, finished and then a 160cm x 9cm strip (also a finished piece) was top-stitched in place to form the sides and strap. Ah - has life ever been the same since I discovered the blessed zipper foot for top-stitching?



This shows the inside of the bag - yes, that is pretty, shiny gold fabric. my credo is that linings should always be as luxurious as you can make them, like a lovely secret. This almost exactly matches the gold blossoms on the feature fabric.


Bit of an action shot - just to show the bag "in use". Also I think Melinda was trying to be a bit creative in her photography - not easy when you are taking shots for posterity of what is essentially a bit of folded fabric.


And one of the bag plus creator. Erm. I look approximately spherical. Anyway.


Comments:
I understand what you mean about the colours, but japanese fabric? LOVES!!!!!

Good to hear from you btw, its been a while...

Jodes
 
Well Lu, it looks fab-o
By the way Mum ADORES that fabric - so if you were looking to create a small something for her in that fabric for Mothers Day she might just LOVE it.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?